Billions of people use the Internet every single day, and knowing how to stay safe while using it is vital. Always be sure to verify the sites you visit on the Internet. A certain amount of information (such as your IP address and domain name) is automatically sent when you connect. Websites can also track the pages you visit, determine the version of your browser and operating system, and even compromise files and passwords.
How to Keep Safe on the Internet
- Keep your operating system updated and patched.
- Use anti-virus and anti-spyware software and keep them updated.
- Do not visit untrusted websites or follow links provided by unknown or untrusted sources.
- Keep your applications updated and patched, particularly if they work with your browser, such as multi-media programs used for viewing videos.
- Block pop-up windows, some of which may be malicious and hide attacks. This may block malicious software from being downloaded to your computer.